October 4, 2015

Tom Ford Eye Color Quad in Silvered Topaz: swatches, pics, complete review

Hello, Beautiful!

If you read my review on the Tom Ford Eye Color Quad in Nude Dip, then you know how head-over-heels in love I am with that quad. Seeing as how much I loved that one, I wanted to try more. Nude Dip is a limited edition quad, so it's not part of his regular quad collection - and I think there may be a formula variation between the Nude Dip quad and his regular quads. The formula on the quad I'm going to talk about in this post is no where near the superior quality that Nude Dip is made of.

So let's talk about the Silvered Topaz quad from Tom Ford....

Tom Ford Eye Color Quad Info & Review
Cost: $80.00 (0.35 oz/10 g full size)
Availability: Available on the Tom Ford website, at Nordstrom, and everywhere else Tom Ford beauty is sold.
My Rating: 3 out of 5 Kisses


Tom Ford Eye Color Quad
Shade: 05 Silvered Topaz



Here is what the box looks like. Click on them to view larger.



And of course, it comes in this fancy little suede pouch.


The palette is traditional Tom Ford packaging. Very sleek and pretty.




And here is what Silvered Topaz looks like on the inside.


You receive two duo-side applicators. 



As you can see, these shades are very wearable and ones I would reach for often, but they also feel easily dupeable, and I'm sure I have others in my collection that are identical.


Here are a bunch of swatch photos....... The first few pics are taken indoors with my studio lights.






And the next set of swatch photos were taken outdoors in sunlight.


Of course I need the intentional blurry pic to show the shimmer/sparkle that some of these shades have.



THE FINAL VERDICT...

I really, really, really wanted to love this palette. I spent days looking at reviews, both in blog posts and in YouTube videos, trying to decide which of the 10 palettes I should purchase. Without question, the quad Silvered Topaz kept being the one I oooh'd and ahhhh'd at each time I saw it swatched.

Seeing as how much in love I was with the Nude Dip quad, I was sure I'd also equally love the Silvered Topaz quad. Boy was I wrong.

The formulation of Silvered Topaz feels much lower quality than Nude Dip. The pigmentation isn't as great, the shadows - while yes, they feel nice, don't feel like the Nude Dip quad does. After swatching it I was so deflated. I even sat and stared at the swatched for a good 5 minutes before I could even process how let down I was.

Don't get me wrong, the shades in Silvered Topaz are pretty but not $80 pretty. Not $80 quality. And certainly not even on the same level as the Nude Dip quad. Just as I did with the Nude Dip quad, I had to justify it by seeing if I would spend $20 per shadow and with Silvered Topaz that answer was no.

In the end I sent this back to Nordstrom. That's $80 I don't need to waste on a palette that doesn't excite me. I have read one or two reviews since then where someone had mentioned that the "good" formula was back with the Nude Dip quad. I'm new to Tom Ford makeup, so can someone who maybe has used this makeup for awhile please tell me if there was an original formula that is similar to Nude Dip and if it was changed to whatever is in my Silvered Topaz quad.

All I have to say is if you have $80 and you only buy one, don't buy Silvered Topaz. Buy Nude Dip! But if you have the money to burn, then these quads aren't bad at all - just to me, I don't see the value of $80... at least not in this quad.

Now let me know what you think...
What do you think of this quad? Have you tried this, or would you consider adding this to your beauty wish list? Discuss in the comments below!

xoxo with love & beauty,
Crystal Valentine

1 comment:

All comments are set for me to approve them before they post. I do this so I can read each & every one, answering any questions that may be in a comment. Please share your thoughts and questions below :)